Tuesday 28 June 2011

Starting

 Anyone who knows me, knows I love the film 28days later- An amazing post-apocalyptic zombie horror. Truly britsh, gritty and miles away from the cheesy american horrors I grew up with. The acting is outstanding, the cinematography and imagery perfectly setting the scene for the growing unease and excitment that unfolds. The script is perfect and written by british author Alex Garland. Its worth a read in itself.
Therefore It came almost as a sudden shock to me a few months back that I had'nt read The Beach, also by Alex Garland, published back in 1996 and is the work he is most known for. So I asked round and borrowed a copy from a mate. I read it in four days. It was amazing, as I expected. I love the way Garland writes and I love his protaganists. There's such a realism to the characters and the story, gritty and honest yet the imagery of the island is beautifully described. There is an edge of darkness throughout the story I feel which obviously comes to a head at the end. It has made me decide to try a story or two from a male point of view- which I've never done before. I'll post the results if they're any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment